Thursday, January 10, 2008

Nolan the sponge

I am calling him a sponge because he has really been absorbing a lot of knowledge lately. He is also a sponge because he likes to copy and do what we do a lot!!! We let Nolan watch two shows A LOT: Word World and Super Why. These two shows can be found on any PBS channels and teach sounds and letters in a fun way.

We watch them with him and interact with him during the shows. Well we started noticing a few months ago that he was recognizing certain letters. We go out to eat or at a store and all of a sudden he would point and say a letter, and sure enough he was right. Gail and I started to work with him on a magnetic drawing board with his letters. We were shocked how many letters he recognized just by watching these two shows. He can now recognize almost all the capital letters. He still has trouble with Q. He thinks it is an O. We have been trying to work with numbers now. He can count to 2 with no problem, knows 3 comes next but likes you to say it and then will say 4. Well tonight we came home from eating out and all of sudden he sits down at his little desk and all by himself counts to 5. I just stood there and looked dumbfounded. I could not believe he counted to 5 all on his own. Of course he would not do it again and got confused when I was saying numbers with him. It is truly amazing how fast your children grow up and how fast they learn things. It just seems like yesterday I was holding him for the first time and could not even imagine him saying his first word. Now in a few short weeks I will have another child to look after and I hope and pray that both will Know God and want to study his word. I could care less about grades and careers as long as they know God and serve him. That is truly the most important thing in life the rest will fall into place.

1 comment:

marshan said...

OH my goodness!!! Did you know that Target carries Word World TOYS!!!! We just discovered them the other day!!!