Friday, February 22, 2008

My side of the story

Well I can't believe Nathaniel is here. Early too! MY little Valentine Baby. I had been feeling uncomfortable for a few days, and did not realize that I was actually having contractions. Yes, I know I have an older child, but I was induced with him. So anyways I noticed some bleeding (bloody show) and my stomach kept getting hard off and on all day. I called my doctor and he did not seem to concerned he just figured I was starting to lose my mucus plug. Well that night around 10ish I told Gail I really think I need to pack my bag tonight. He said go for it, but I was too lazy to get out of bed and get it packed. So I feel asleep and was feeling pretty good until I went to turn over. That is when I felt a gush of water. This was at 12:45 Am (contractions really started at around 1:00 Am in the car 2 minutes apart!.)

This is where I think it gets funny! :)
I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. I yelled to Gail, I think my water just broke. He turned over in bed and felt the bed. He said: "I don't think your water broke Lisa, it would be really wet in the bed." I had a pad on so it held it I told him. Anyways, I called my mom, who informed me that yes my water did break and that I needed to call the doctor and go to the hospital. She was on her way to watch Nolan. Gail is still in disbelief. He calls the doctor and than he ask me again about my water breaking. He had me go to Google to make sure about my water breaking. As we are getting ready to go he notices my mom in the drive way and ask what she was doing there. I forgot to tell him that I asked her to come and watch Nolan. He was planning on waking him and taking him and dropping him off. Yeah right! So anyways we finally get on our way. We said a prayer, me I kept saying prayers the whole way there!!! We get going and we come to our first roadblock. Gail finds a way around it by going out of our way to get around the roadblock 747/275 ramp closed. Then as we are driving we find that we can't get on the highway because the rt4 275 ramp is closed. Another roadblock. At this time my contractions have been exactly 2 mins. apart and I am thinking I just better get to the hospital in time for my drugs!!! :) I did not want to have a natural birth, I wanted pain medicine!!!! :) We ended up getting to the hospital on time, but we thought we were going to have to get out at the 3rd roadblock right by the hospital . But the officer let us by! Yeah.
When I went in I was already 6 cm dilated. I was in labor for about 5 hours. I only got to hold Nathaniel for 30 seconds. He was whisked away to be put on oxygen. However, as the past blogs have posted God has not only blessed us with another beautiful son. He allowed him to get better fast and come home wednesday!!! :) We had a home care nurse come wednesday. We got his biliruben test back and it went up from 10.1 to 12.6. We have a doctor appointment today,so we will see what the plan will be for the little guy. Please continue to keep him in your prayers. Also, I am sad to say that he won't be going anywhere but the doctors office for appointments due to his respiratory problems at birth, being a preemie, and it is the flu season. He really can not afford to get a cold or flu due to these issues. The doctor advised that he stay home for at least 1 month another advised 2 months. He also advised limited visitation due to him being more vulnerable to catching an illnesses. I am hoping to introduce him to church by Easter Sunday!
The little guy is eating really well. However, since he is early he is still learning how to breast feed. So feeding time takes me an hour. We try nursing, and if he decides to nurse that is usually about 15-20 minutes, than I have to feed him a bottle to make sure he is getting enough food, than I have to pump for 20-30 minutes after every feeding to keep my milk production coming in and getting more milk. By the time I am down it feels like it is time to start the process all over again. So my job right now is food machine mommy. It is nice when I have a helping hand around because after I breast feed I can pump while someone else feeds him his bottle. cuts the time down a lot. But I figure a few weeks of this will pay off in the end when I don't have to pump anymore and I can just nurse him!!!! :) Since he is early he may only nurse a few times a day. THis is common so I have my work cut out for me, but I have really enjoyed nursing and the process a lot better than with Nolan.

I will update more later.


2 comments:

Billie said...

So were are more pictures!!!!!;) If we can't see him in person, then we want lots of pitures;)

marshan said...

you are the woman, Lisa or should I say....milk making mommy!!! :)